1. A lemon a day keeps the cold away. For a bad cold, the juice of two
lemons in ½ a litre (2½ cups) of boiling water sweetened with honey, taken
at bed time, is a very effective remedy.
2. Have ginger (adrak) tea
3. Cut ginger (adrak) into 1" _ 1½" pieces and boil with a cup of water. Give
8-10 boils. Strain, sweeten with ½ teaspoon sugar and drink hot.
4. A tablespoon of carom seeds (ajwain) crushed and tied up in a muslin
cloth can be used for inhalation to relieve congestion/blocked nose.
5. A similar small bundle placed near the pillow of sleeping children relieves
6. A teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera) is added to 1 glass of boiling water.
Strain and simmer for a few minutes. Let it cool. Drink it 1-2 times a day. If
sore throat is also present, add a few small pieces of dry ginger (adrak) to
the boiling water.
7. Six pepper corns (saboot kali mirch) finely ground and mixed with a glass
of warm water, sweetened with 5-6 batasha (a variation of sugar candy)
can be taken for a few nights.
8. In the case of the acute cold in the head, boil 1 tablespoon full pepper
powder in a cup of milk along with a pinch of turmeric (haldi) and have
once daily for at least 3 days. cold with phlegm (balgam) and slight cough
9. Take 8-10 tulsi leaves and wash well. To 1 cup of water, add these tulsi
leaves, 1-2 cloves of garlic (lasan), ½" piece ginger, crushed and 4-5
peppercorns (saboot kali mirch). Boil the water and keep simmering on fire
till the quantity is reduced to ¼ cup. Cool. Strain. Add 1 teaspoon honey.
Drink this every morning.